January 27, 1959

St Pius X College, staffed by Diocesan Priests, commenced at Tighes Hill. In 1960 Bishop of Maitland, Bishop Toohey, exercised tremendous courage and vision in acquiring the old Lustre Hosiery Factory in Adamstown and converting the existing building into a school. On December 5th, 1960 the school opened at this new site.

March 19th, 1961 

The official opening of the College and the blessing of the new building was performed by Bishop Toohey. In that year the school badge was also adopted, incorporating the Coat of Arms and Crest of St Pius X.

1967 St Anne’s High School, a senior school for girls, opened adjacent to St Pius.1967 to 1983 The senior boys from St Pius often shared classes with the girls in the senior school.

1984 – 2012

1984 Fundamental change was initiated at St Pius X. First Lay Principal was Mr Ray Kelly and girls formed half of the Year 7 cohort. 1986 The first stages in a restructuring program which resulted in the school becoming a fully co-educational Junior High School. 2008 St Anne’s Hall name was changed to Sr Marie Hall in honour of Sr Marie Therese Fahey, a Josephite Sister who had a long relationship of service with our school. 2009 St Pius celebrated its 50th year of service. 2010 Master Plan developed for the upgrading of St Pius. 2012 Official opening of the new Stage 1 Facilities – the Factory complex.



2012 – 2016

June 30, 2012 Sr Marie Hall was destroyed by fire as a result of arson.

2014 Retirement of highly respected Assistant Principal, Dean of Students, Mr Stuart Roff who taught at Pius X for 23 years.

2014 The school suffered the tragic loss of Fiona O’Donoghue (Fiona Drinkwater).

2015 Official opening for Stage 2 facilities and the Sr Marie Centre.

2016 Works begin on Stage 3 of Master Plan 

2017 to Present

2017 New staff area opened and work on new Library commenced. 2018 New Library opened for business on Day 1. 2019 New Learning Centre was created in old staff room area.  Stage 1 of this project completed early in the year. 2020 Year of the COVID-19 Pandemic and the year we commenced the implementation of the Sharratt-Fullan 14 Parameter Framework of System and School Improvement.


Principals Past & Present

​Fr J Newton 1959-61Fr V Dilley 1961-67​

​Fr P Helferty1967-72 Fr T Brennan 1973-83

Mr R Kelly 1984-85 ​Mr A Peart1986-92

​Mr K Rodwell1993-94 ​Mr K Walkling1995

Mr J Haskal ​1996-2005 Mr R Emery ​2006-present